Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What a DIP!

I came from a dip family... instead of comfort foods we have favorite dips. As a child growing up we did not have many (or any) snack foods in the house. We were a family raised on goodness from our garden. So, on Saturday nights we were treated; we got to choose one thing, any thing, to make. We always choose some sort of chips and dip or appetizer. Now that we are all grown up. We have a competition on Christmas Eve, as to who can come up with the best new dip. We are always testing and so, I consider myself quite the connoisseur of these types of food. I have a picture of my sister at age four, with a freshly casted, broken arm trying to figure out how to maneuver her arm from the bag of chips, to the ranch dip, back to her mouth and keep her arm elevated all at the same time. We are hard core dippers! We probably need a twelve step program.

A friend of mine introduced me to this dip at a Christmas party.

AaaHaaa, new material to try on the family!

I had just a small amount of it, because I was having some medical testing that required a special diet and this was not allowed. What a time for a restricted diet! The last few weeks, I have had this dip on my mind. The past two weekends we have had company at our home, knowing my husband would not eat the dip, I waited to share the goodness. I prepared the dip both weekends with rave reviews. Try it out and see what you think...

Zesty Fiesta Sausage Dip

1 pkg. Regular Flavor Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage
1 cup chopped onion
1 jar (16 oz.) yellow banana peppers, drained, seeded and finely chopped
3 pickled jalapeno peppers, seeded, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
16 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper (I used a green bell pepper)
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion tops (optional)
chips or crackers
Directions:
In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until meat is thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. Stir in banana peppers and jalapeno peppers; cover and cook 1-1/2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, stir in cream cheese; cook uncovered until heated through (about 5 minutes). Fold in red pepper; add optional ingredients if desired. Serve warm in a chafing dish, with chips or crackers for dipping. Garnish with diced tomato and cilantro or green onion if desired.
Serving Size:
Makes about 5-1/2 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment