Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It's Hot, Hot, Hot, actually it's up to you...

Quote of the Day...

There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost

This year in class I had my students make hot sauce, salsa, picante etc...We discussed differences and make several recipes in class. Then students were to add or take away from my basic recipe to develop their own. Some of them turned out great...Some not so great. Some students learned to add only the leaves of the cilantro instead of the whole thing, stem and all. It tastes a little like fresh mowed grass smells if you add the stem. So here is the basic recipe, given to me by my friend Lisa.

Lisa’s Hot Sauce

1 large can (or two small) whole Tomatoes
1 clove of garlic
1 jalapeno
1 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons onion,
½ tsp dried red pepper

In a blender combine garlic, salt, red pepper and jalapeno. Blend. Add Tomatoes and onions.

Note: For chunkier salsa use a food processor (instead of blender) and leave out the juice from the canned tomatoes. I also like to add cilantro, and extra garlic, maybe a little cumin.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment